Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Rain

It’s raining today. It’s almost Christmas, and yet I’m not missing the “white” of “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas.”

Having grown up in the Northwest, I suppose rain is just part of my soul. There is no pain that a cup of hot chocolate and the happy patter of rain can’t soothe for me, at least for a time.

Here in Oregon it’s often known as "liquid sunshine.” That may seem a stretch for some, but for me, it’s the sound of peace. I've lived in many places: Ohio, Utah, Colorado, Washington and Oregon; yet I've never been as content in any of those places as I was when it rained.

When the heavy mist falls, it looks like millions of falling stars, twinkling under the lamplight at night; shimmering, swirling, they make their way to the waiting earth to form patterns on the pavement and in my psyche; when the heavy rains beat a tattoo on the roof, it’s nearly as good and soothing as the rhythm of the surf at the coast.

If you find a rock, and it doesn't look like much, spit on it-well, you could just put it under the hose, but, you may not be near a water source; spit on it. See how much prettier it looks. That's how the world looks to me in the rain. Colors pop and everything is washed clean; the world seems happier somehow; refreshed.

Rain makes puddles. I LOVE to drive through puddles. I don't know what it is, but as that wall of water comes up and I push through, it makes me giggle.

Next time it rains where you are, snuggle up and listen to it. Listen to it splash and patter across your roof or porch. Let the happy liquid sunshine wash away the cares of the day; have a book, a blanket and a mug of hot cocoa nearby, and the day will be pretty close to perfection.

3 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for your next writing and I'm not disappointed. When it rains here I imagine myself back in Oregon. When the kids were still at home we would congregate on the porch in a good rain...breath deaply and say,"It smells like Oregon!" Even now when it rains, Megan will say ..it smells like Oregon and she had hardly anything to do with the state! Makes me smile. Thanks "J" for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to rain you have written. I love rain, too, Jeannetta--I'm a Seattle native!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool way to look at rain. I'm so glad I stopped by! I'll have to remember this when spring comes and it rains so much: "liquid sunshine." Thanks.

    ReplyDelete