Thursday, September 10, 2009

I Have a Problem

I have a problem, wine.

Now, before you go call my Bishop, let me explain.

Wine comes in glass bottles. I have a thing for glass bottles. Tall bottles, thin bottles (do I see a metaphor for what I am not here?), pretty bottles, old bottles.

I love glass bottles, and they don't even need to have been used for libationary purposes.

When I go to the grocery store alone, I sometimes find myself walking down the wine aisle, just to look at the pretty bottles. I don't drink wine, I've made a covenant with my Heavenly Father not to, so I don't buy any; I just sort of drool over the bottles. I do wonder if a fellow customer, passing nearby might wonder if I've just jumped on the wagon and am having second thoughts.

I've collected some pretty, old and turning purple bottles; some new pressed glass bottles and some newer wine bottles from a funeral.

Square, round, oval; bottles of various sizes and shapes. I even found one, in perfect condition, in a load of fill dirt we brought to our property that had come from an old garbage dump.

What do I do with them you ask? That's a very good question. So far, I've made one batch of blueberry vinegar that I ended up throwing out because I never used it! But I have the bottle!

I have visions of beautiful wine type bottles lining the counter, full of beautiful edibles from my garden, preserved as vinegars or oils; made to savor the season in say: February.

I also have a vision of wonderful old bottles getting more and more purple as the years go on, becoming beautiful jewels on my upper windowsills. Purple isn't even my favorite color.

I also have a collection of old canning jars. You know, the kind with the wire bale, and glass lids? I use them in my pantry for things like baking soda, baking powder, kosher salt, cornstarch, whatever. I love them! But that's another post :)

If your jar or bottle or oil lamp is turning purple, you have some really old glass on your hands--do you need my address?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment